We only recommend products that we have used from companies that we trust! When you buy something using the retail links in our posts, we may earn a small commission.
We are back with another tasty addition to the Mason-Dixon family of recipes. Our Mason-Dixon Pulled Pork with Southern Slaw focuses on bringing together the sweet, savory, and salty deliciousness of tender pulled pork with creamy, crisp cole-slaw. If you are new to brining meats and want to explore more, check out our Simple Guide To Brining Meats. If you are interested in more recipes from our Mason-Dixon collection, click here to see our Mason-Dixon Smoked Chicken recipe.
Pulled Pork Prep Times
- Prep Brine: 20 minutes
- Brine Time: 8-24 Hours
- Prepare Pork: 1 Hour
- Cooking: 2 Hours / lb.
- ½ cup of salt
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1-2 Qt. of water
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 3 TBSP dry rub
- 1 orange (quartered)
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 TBSP onion powder
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP cayenne powder
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP ground pepper
- 1 TBSP smoked paprika
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
*Reserve 1 TBSP of rub for later
Combine brine ingredients and stir until all sugar is dissolved, then add bone-in pork shoulder. If the pork shoulder is not fully submerged, add additional water until covered. Pro-tip: A small saucer or plate can be used to rest on top of pork shoulder to keep it fully submerged in brine solution. Allow pork shoulder to brine for 8-24 hours.
Prepare Pork: 1 Hour
- Remove pork from brine
- Pat the pork until dry
- Place pork in roasting pan with a rack, fat side up.
- Sprinkle pork shoulder with dry rub and massage into the meat. Cover the entire piece of meat with rub.
- Preheat over to 225 F.
- Insert thermometer probe into meat.
- Place pork in oven.
- Cooking times will vary, but plan on 2 hours per pound of meat.
Low and Slow
- Continue to monitor thermometer until pork reaches an internal temperature of 200 F.
- Turn off oven and allow pork to cool to 170 F.
- Carefully remove pork from baking dish and place it in an aluminum serving tray.
- Pull meat apart to desired consistency.
- Add remaining Dry rub to pork.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 3 TBSP sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 bag of plain coleslaw mix
- 1 bag of purple cabbage
Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Allow Slaw to rest for at least 2 hours. It tastes best if you allow it to rest over night.
If you liked our Mason-Dixon Pulled Pork with Southern Slaw, subscribe below!
Colorado Springs – Garden of the Gods
We love getting out in nature. As fortune has it, we were lucky enough to get to Colorado last summer.…
Simple Guide to Jointers and Planers
As with most of our guides, we like to keep things pretty simple. Our Simple Guide to Jointers and Planers…
Simple Guide To Electric Saws
Saws are a critical part of any woodworking shop. The ability to make the most precise cuts, from multiple different…